15 May 2008

Portraiture.

I have opinions about a lot of things. One of my favorite things to have an opinion about is art, especially when it comes to people. There are most certainly good and bad ways to go about creating a portrait, but there aren't really any concrete rules about it. Yes, there are definitely guidelines - but there are plenty of good portraits that throw those rules out the window. At the end of the day, all I care about is that I like it, and it doesn't look like something some schmuck in a bowtie at Sears took.

To anyone who takes photos at department stores for a living - you need to quit doing that. They're bad.

This one's a favorite of mine. One of the things I really love about it is all the color. Taken in Bedford, England, with a crappy HP Photosmart. But you know, often enough bad cameras take really good pictures. It depends more on the person behind it. So for anyone who doesn't have a big fancy camera, remember that.

Babies are tough subjects. You can't pose them (although I think that very few portraits should be posed - candids are so much more compelling), and you never know what kind of face they'll be making when the shutter clicks. Staying tight helps - you want to be close to them to get the most interesting photos, and strange angles don't hurt, either. This was taken of my little Dutch baby today - she's one month old now!

More little Dutch babies... Lots of great portraits happen when the subject deosn't know you have a camera. I snuck this one of my friend and her baby; I think she still has no idea I took it.

Little kids are almost as tough as babies - in fact, sometimes tougher, since they run around more. Again, candid shots are great. The best advice: get a big lens and stay far away from them. Knowing they're having their picture taken is usually a recipe for photographic disaster. My little muffin goes nuts in front of the camera, striking poses and making ridiculous faces. At this particular moment she was just mad about leaving the petting zoo.

Like I said - get a big lens and stay far away. Just make sure no one thinks you're a stalker or pedophile. Best to do with your own children, or one you've borrowed from his/her parents for the day.

No comments: