25 May 2008

Oranje.

The Dutch love football (soccer). They also love their national team. They don't have national pride in a whole lot else, but Orange Fever sweeps the nation when the European championships creep nearer. Entire streets become orange as houses are covered in orange tarps for the occasion. Dutch flags fly, face paint abounds, and everyone whips out those orange clothes they keep stashed away especially for Queen's Day and important football matches (I have an Isaac Mizrahi dress in a very patriotic shade of orange hanging in my own closet). Even food gets dressed up for the occasion, and bakeries are stocked with orange-frosted goodies. So what's my favorite Orange treat?

Perhaps we'll find orange Oreos on the shelves soon...

3 comments:

Nonni said...

I love it.

Nonni said...

And I'm going to have to bring some home after my visit this week. Wicked cool.

thayne said...

i think they actually had orange colored filling for oreos around halloween.